Tuesday, September 14, 2004

today I call a few Legislators

[political] Last light I received my email from Save Betamax with the list of Legislators they asked me to call today. I will be calling Senators John McCain, and Orrin Hatch and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi. Fortunately, since I am an electronic engineer, it was easy to agree with the stance taken by the IEEE - that the INDUCE Act, in its current form, can have unintended consequences. Imagine if they wrote a law that banned the production of anything that induced people to violate traffic laws? Take away the vehicles so the drivers don't run red lights. To my mind, this bill is a lot like the pre-emptive arrests at the RNC - they weren't doing anything wrong, but they could have. When I think of just how stupid and scary this is, I keep remembering the old joke:
The Judge turns to the Defendant and says "You're charged with destruction of private property. It says here in the report you were seen walking with a hammer and there were vehicles found with broken windows. How dou you plead?"
The Defendant replies "Not guilty, your Honor."
The Prosecutor stands and "You had the hammer in your hands."
Defendant: "But I wasn't anywhere near the cars."
Judge: "You had the tool, so you're a reasonable suspect."
Defendant: "Well then your Honor, you might as well charge me with rape too."
Judge: "Why is that? Did you commit a rape?"
Defendant: "No, but I had the tool."
I burn mp3s to disc to use in my truck and I video tape my daughter growing up. All it would take is one poorly thought out law to make that illegal. I'm not against copyright protections, I just think the INDUCE was poorly written. Go back and try again boys and girls...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home